Among the tools offered by Redback Drilling Tools is the Redback roller reamer. These roller reamers feature the patented wedge lock cutter retention system. This system has provided the performance reliability and dependability platform on which clients have been able to gain the advantage of roller reamer application.
The cutters feature a pressure equalised lubricated bearing system. The seals within the cutters prevent the ingress of mud and cuttings into the bearing while retaining lubricant within the bearing faces and thereby giving additional attainable revolutions of the cutters. The pressure equalisation system will ensure the sealed system works effectively in high pressure down hole environments.
Redback roller reamers will provide a low torque point of stabilization where the roller cutters 'roll' around the hole wall. This reduces the torque and stick slip and the resultant vibration. The vibration reduction can add significant hours to the 'mean time between failures' (MTBF) of other BHA components. Additionally, when compared with a fixed blade stabilizer, the roller reamer will cause less hole wall damage.
The stepped profile of the roller cutters provide the reaming action that will open the hole to the diameter to which the roller reamer has been dressed and will remove ledges and mini doglegs from the borehole wall profile. This smoother hole wall profile will aid the drilling, logging, coring and casing running processes:
- The improved transfer of weight to the bit will assist drilling. This factor together with the reduction of torque and stick slip will increase considerably the constant energy available at the bit, the WR factor. This constant energy with removal of peaks will add life to tri cone bit bearing life and reduce PDC cutter/tci tooth breakage. Stick slip release can result in high string RPM. Reduction of these spikes will reduce the incidence of drill bit reverse rotation and the consequent cutter face damage.
- The reamed hole with the removal of tight sections and ledges will significantly reduce the trip times both out of and into the hole. The patented bi-directional and back reaming cutters are designed to facilitate the reaming back through tight spots when tripping out of the hole. This can be done only where rigs are equipped with top drive equipment. Improved borehole profile reduces the frequency of stuck pipe incidents and thereby fishing operations.
- Removal of ledges helps get wire line logging tools down hole and significantly reduces the chance of getting stuck in the hole. With LWD tools, vibration reduction by way of stick slip will lead to noise reduction and improved MTBF.
- With the removal of ledges, the casing / liner will be easier to get to bottom, thereby reducing the running time and the problems of stuck casing / liner.
- Torque can be detrimental to the collection of good quality cores. The reduction of stick slip, allowing more constant rotation of the barrel together with the reduced vibration will contribute to the coring performance. Redback roller reamers offer the reliability and performance to achieve all of the above benefits. This gives the user great cost and risk reduction and thereby huge value to the well construction process.
For further information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.